Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Yipperzooza!

Quick note: My 7 year old has coined this phrase and it's quickly caught on in our house as an expression of affirmative glee, as in: "We're going to the pool! Yipperzooza!!" "Did you like the Camp Rock movie? Yipperzooooooza!" Of course, Kenny and I have put our own sarcastic and off-color spin on it, "American Express called again. Yipperfuckinzooza."

I tell you this so you'll understand why it's the only word that expresses how excited I was to learn that my favorite TV show - Mad Men - will be returning on July 27. If you haven't seen it yet I insist you run out RIGHT NOW and order the first season on DVD (to be released July 1). Hailed by some as the smartest show on TV, and hailed by me as just freakin' awesome, it's the story of a fictional advertising agency in the early 60's. The creators of the show have totally nailed the look and feel of the era, the writing is incredible, the acting is fantastic (and John Hamm is hot, I'm not gonna lie), it's smart, funny, touching - in my opinion the best show on tv right now.

Watching a new show is like starting a new relationship. You see something that looks promising. You schedule your first date. You decide what you're going to wear (although in this analogy no makeup and sweats are usually the outfit of choice, so already it's better than dating). You tell a few friends, maybe even arrange a group date. You've got your programs that are the equivalent of a bad first date - they had so much potential, but the experience was a total disappoinment (Studio 60). Often times, you have a really good first date, get together a couple more times, but somehow it never seems to take off into a long term relationship (30 Rock, Men In Trees). Or you have several really good months, then they do something and BAM you can't stand the sight of them anymore (American Idol).

But. If you get really lucky, you find that very special relationship. You know you're in love after the first 5 minutes. When it happens to you, you just KNOW. You rearrange your schedule to be available, you spend hours afterward replaying every minute of your time together, you tell all your friends about your new love & want to introduce them, and can't wait until you can be together again. Things can go along swimmingly for years, but inevitably something goes wrong. Sometimes they change inexplicably and you lose interest (Grey's Anatomy), or you can just grow apart, or the timing is all wrong but the feelings are still there (The Wire). And sometimes they break up with you, leaving you broken hearted and wanting more (Oz, The Sopranos). If nothing else, you've always got your booty call shows: shallow & quick, but always satisfying (anything on VH1 or Lifetime).



I'm no expert in relationships. All I can tell you is this. I fell in love last year and we've been forced to spend some time apart. But my Men and I have a HOT date on Sunday July 27 at 10 pm, and I can't wait. Yipperfuckinzooza!!

4 comments:

Shlara said...

This looked good to me last year when I read the reviews, but alas, I don't get this premium channel. I guess I need to pick up season 1 on DVD.

And, I need something to keep me entertained until the boys from Entourage come back in September with some new episodes. I love them. And I miss them.

KQ said...

you need to get AMC. trust me, you won't be sorry!

i'm so with you on the entourage boys! they're like the bad boys you date that you know will break your heart some day, it won't last forever, but god you love 'em!

Unknown said...

Just got Californication Season One and went on first date last night. I think we might have a second date tonight. Its gritty and really dirty and you find yourself laughing out loud. Plus, the main character unabashedly smokes. Add it to your netflix queue if you like your comedy dark.

Monika said...

Great blog posting - I agree! Finding a new show is like embarquing on a relationship, isn't it?! And I totally agree about Studio 60 - what a let-down! Can't wait to check out "Men!"