Saturday, July 5, 2008

AND THE WINNER IS....


(This is the part where I put on my Queen Beaches OBX Society Columnist hat.)


Well the long holiday weekend hadn't even begun Thursday night and already we had a winner in the Host/Hostess With the Mostest category... HUGE kudos to Patty & Matt McKenna for throwing an awesome shindig on 7/3/08. It was a GREAT way to get the weekend started... Chris and I quickly recognized this potential when we ran into the good Doctor Matt at the ABC store Wednesday night stocking up on some tequila (for the margarita machine!) in his OR scrubs. After some joking around about shots and surgery, we parted ways and immediately began eagerly anticipating the next evening's festivities.


Can't say enough about the food (chilled edamame, black bean salad, steamed hot dogs- perfect for a warm summer night), the libations (a pale ale kegger!), the huge yard that doubles as a children's paradise, the FUN mix of people and the general aura of a good relaxed party. Smart idea to have this the night before the weekend starts getting crazy with plans. Also really appreciated the invitation implied we could bring holiday company, which we did.


Patty had on a smashing skirt which I didn't get to grill her about (as in- where did you get that?), some other articles of clothing I am now coveting- Amy D's long striped dress, Chrissy B's stunning halter/handkerchief dress (one of those cool retro/modern patterns) that looked super with her 'found' sunglasses (don't lose those Chrissy!), loved Elizabeth's earrings, Jennifer G needs to do some modeling for Confetti- she was really rockin' a G1 skirt...Claiborne's shoes definitely on my hit list... I want to start going to the gym with Whitney H, she's tight.. was disappointed to see Ken back down and let me win the Beautiful Toes contest with my new OPI navy polish... earlier in this patriotic week he was sporting some hot designs on his big toes (courtesy of Thing 1 and Thing 2, AKA Kate & Maggie) but apparently wasn't man enough to have them recreated professionally and bring them out to the masses. Conversation with everyone was fun, relaxed and BIG thanks on behalf of Katherine (my co-blogger) and I to everyone who mentioned that they are still reading (and apparently liking) our blog (like Thea, MaryBeth, Amy, etc).


Here's what I love best about so many Outer Banks parties... kids are included and this one was no exception. My visiting in-laws are still amazed by the number of children (50?) running around enjoying themselves as much as their parents. Not saying there's anything wrong with getting a babysitter now and then (IF you can actually find one) and enjoying an adult evening, but so many social happenings here are suited for the whole family and that suits me just fine.

To Patty & Matt- thanks so much for the invite! I think I speak for all of your satisfied party guests when I make the recommendation this become an annual event!

4 comments:

Ken said...

Matt and Patty have set the standard for the Pre-4th Throwdown. Honestly, how many parties can fully satisfy parents, kids and - most rarely - adults with no kids that have to hang out with parents and kids?!

Re: the toes, I liked your blue ones, all ten of them. What they lacked in excitement and panache was offset by the soothing effect of your monochromatic and mind-numbing color scheme. Ciao.

Ken said...

Ok, the mind-numbing was a little much but just know I won't back down so easy next time!

Thea said...

I agree that it was an incredible party!So much fun for all!Cassidy & I had to be dragged out of there... We may leave Zach home next year so we can stay for the bonfire!Thanks again to Patty & Matt for being the most gracious & relaxed hosts I've seen in awhile!

Unknown said...

Silly Matt did not know the true identity of the Queen Beaches. Had he known one of them was coming to his party he would have pulled out the Lily pants. Or asked Kenny to borrow Alice Cooper's yellow trou (as if he would fit in them).

The July 3rd party will probably be a bi-annual event--we have to keep it fresh.

A party is only as good as the guests make it. So here's to y'all--especially the under 18 set who really made our day.