Sunday, July 13, 2008

I Don't Get It... Does That Mean I'm Not Hip?


I saw another one yesterday. Idly flipping through the pages of a magazine, enjoying a beach day, vicariously shopping for things I 'have to have' that I won't ever purchase, I came across another double-spread ad for Marc by Marc Jacobs.

Now this is the line that featured Posh not too long ago in a bunch of weird Barbie doll poses with one arm flung up into the air that Katherine and I tried so hard to capture with some of our limo pix. But Marc's ads have gone from oddly plasticine to downright disturbing.

I'm sure you've seen one... it's got 'Cole', a male model, posing in women's ready to wear, photographed by Juergen Teller. If you haven't seen the campaign, its really quite indescribable so I suggest you run right out to the store and buy yourself about five magazines (suggestions: In Style, Vogue, Marie Claire, Domino & Vanity Fair.) Okay, you probably won't find the ad in either of the last two but since I'm giving you a super excuse to go splurge on some eye candy I figured I'd throw those in as well.

Tried to research this a little bit... hit the Marc Jacobs website which features a ten second loop of a 70's-ish home movie of some bedazzled and sequined cabaret singing drag queens (http://www.marcjacobs.com/, its kinda worth it)... ah, so there are some cross dressing issues in the house.. then I found an interview Marc did with, well, Interview magazine, where he himself is cross dressing in the same style as the ads which is not trannie per se, but more like poor little prep schoolboy trying on some of mummie's clothes while she's out. Marc even has the 'couture hunch' down (you can see those pix at the mj website too). In the meantime, do NOT be fooled by these ads! While the message may be 'Look! even a boy toy model looks great in a Marc dress!' the reality is that the boy toy still has a quasi-feminine body built for high fashion that most us girls can ever aspire to. Caveat emptor, my friends, caveat emptor.

No comments: