Thursday, July 17, 2008

There's A Bathroom On The Right

While kickin' back at the pool the other day, Patty was telling us about something she had recently heard on NPR's This American Life, wherein people shared their stories of having received bad information early in life, yet continued to believe it well into adulthood. Like the woman who (allegedly) mortified herself in front of co-workers by asking if unicorns were endangered or extinct. I piped up that I had, until my late 20's, thought the correct lyric in the Beach Boys' classic song, Surfin' USA was "if every body had a notion..." (not 'if every body had an ocean'. duh.)

That led to a rather animated discussion of other mis-heard lyrics, such as these gems (and no, I won't reveal who was responsible for butchering the toonces - but if they want to own up to it in the comments, by all means please do!):

Song: CCR's Bad Moon Rising
Wrong lyric: There's a bathroom on the right
Correct lyric: There's a bad moon on the rise

Song: Train's Drops of Jupiter
Wrong: Van Halen is overrated.
Right: ...and that heaven is overrated.

Song: The Who's Eminence Front
Wrong: Livin in a strut
Right: Eminence Front
(that cracks me up every time. and PS don't forget to tune into VH1 tonight to watch Eddie *sigh* Vedder & Pearl Jam honor the Who at the Rock & Roll Honors or whatever the hell it is.)

Alright, phone lines are open. Let's hear your best and worst. And for those of you who find this sh*t as amusing as I do, saunter on over to kissthisguy.com, an entire website devoted to the cause. My current fave: from the J Geils Band's Angel in the Centerfold, some poor shmuck thought the lyric was "my anus is the center hole." You might want to see a doctor about that, pal.

5 comments:

Jamie Layton said...

Gee... I always thought The Who was saying 'Women in Front'.... turns out they aren't the feminists I thought....

Jamie Layton said...

oh, and here's one jojoagogo might remember... a long, long time ago back in the day we spent two long weeks every summer in south Nags Head we happened upon some west virginians sitting around a bonfire one night singing these lyrics to Kajagoogoo's song 'Too Shy'... Shoo, Shoo the fly.. hush, hush, get away from me fly... Shoo, shoo the fly, hush, hush....

Whitney said...

A girl we know butchers nearly every song. For a while she improperly sang INXS's "Suicide Blonde" as "Soup and Salad Bar".

Colleen said...

There's a song by Squeeze called "Pulling Mussles From a Shell" and I thought it was "Pulling Mussles from Michelle" -- no, it didn't make sense then either, but it does make me laugh!

Jamie Layton said...

Here's another one that just hit me in the face while taking in a screening of Mamma Mia this weekend. They aren't singing 'Ollie Oxen-free, Take a Chance on Me'... they're singing 'Honey I'm still free, take a chance on me!'
Will wonders never cease....