Friday, February 29, 2008

Polling our readers....

So this morning I'm writing up descriptions for my website and I write the following re: a new bag: 'it has a strap on...' and before I can finish the sentence I'm completely cracking up like a 16 year old boy. strap on... heh heh. It made me ponder why, even at an age when I should be exhibiting at least some maturity, I just see the 'dirty' in everything. But I KNOW I'm not alone. My good friend Matt informed me of a news report he had heard about a presidential primary, where the reporter said "2000 New Hampshire residents were polled earlier today." OUCH!

Well then that got me to thinking about my friend Tracy who lost it in an executive board meeting when the president of the co. kept talking about the new hires' duties, which Tracy heard as "doodies" and fell into uncontrollable fits of giggles every time they repeated it. And you know how futile it is when you try to suppress that kind of inappropriate laughter. So I want to put it to the readers to chime in with their own stories of adolescent humor and/or an occasion when they lost their composure at a most inopportune time. I'll get the ball rolling with an entry of my own:


1) The aforementioned Matt and I had gone to see my favorite singer, Tony Bennett, at Constitution Hall in DC. This was, as you can imagine, a much nicer venue than our usual concert stops (9:30 club, Norva...) and damn if we didn't feel like grown ups for once. Well, that wouldn't last long. The seats were packed in quite tight, so we sat shoulder to shoulder as the masterful stylings of Mr. Bennett washed over us. I should also point out that like Tony himself, most of the audience were card carrying members of AARP. Several songs in, Matt and I noticed the gentleman in front of us had obviously been so relaxed by the music that he had, in fact, fallen asleep. And in all my years I have NEVER seen anyone "pecking corn" with such ferocity. I thought the dude's neck would snap. And yet, he didn't wake up. At least not until the end of the song when the roaring applause jolted him from his slumber and he chimed right in with clapping, whoops and hollers. Then the next song began, and Farmer Sleepy was at it again, nod nod nodding his way through the entire concert. We were HYSTERICAL! I mean the kind of giggles where your stomach hurts, your eyes water, and just when you think you've regained your composure, BAM! you just fall apart at the seams. But there was another factor - see, since we were packed in like well aged sardines, every time I would start to lose it again, Matt could feel my shoulders start to shake so then HE would crack up. Then we'd get our shit together for a minute and one of us would set the chain in motion once again. It was a helluva concert though. :)

And did anyone ever see the Today show cookng segment when Jamie Oliver was teaching the anchors to cook fish and he kept commenting that Anne Curry had a "lovely red snapper?" I was so happy to not be the only one to catch that -- I thought Matt Lauer was gonna lose it. If anyone can find that clip for me, I will be eternally grateful.

Anyone else?? Anyone? Sarah - remember our trip to the NYC theater?

1 comment:

Tracy said...

this is the tracy mentioned in this post. duties/doodies still gets me. i chuckle anytime someone uses the word. can't help it! i love that chandler on "friends" had the same issue with the word in an interview. yes, i am 12!