Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Blogworthy news

A few things I heard on NPR last week that brought out the Word Police in me-

1- in a story about I can't remember what, maybe illegal immigrant deportation, they were talking about a woman with a 'fairly minor drug conviction'. Huh? I turned to dictionary.com:

fairly: moderately, tolerably; as in a fairly heavy rain
minor: not serious, important, etc.
drug: a habit forming medicinal or illicit substance esp., a narcotic
(subset: illicit: not legally permitted or authorized)
conviction: the state of being convicted
(sub: convicted: to find or prove (someone) guilty of an offense or crime especially by the verdict of a court).

Okay, just so I'm clear here, we're talking about someone who was found 'guilty by a court of law' of a charge involving 'tolerable, not serious illicit substances'.
Isn't this like saying somebody is kind-of pregnant?

2- in a story about the Oklahoma tornadoes (a true tragedy) I swear to god I hear these words during an interview with an eyewitness who was standing outside his business- a 'bridal salon/feed lot'. No, I didn't mistake the first word for bridle because they went on to say that some of his wedding dresses were found 60 miles away.

and from Yahoo! News (I love this one)-

Sid and The Kids go to Stanley Cup Finals
(aren't you impressed? I waited a whole three days before even remotely gloating about my Penguins incredible 6-0 trouncing of Philadelphia!)

Note to Quinn: are you feeling incredibly relaxed and invigorated after your night of therapy? Or...... not?




1 comment:

jojoagogo said...

You think it's a plus-size only bridal salon?