Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Please Pass the Tissues...

Ever since Quinn posted her all time favorite Bunny list of hook-up songs, I've been preparing a response. After much thought, I've decided to break my lists down by eras, because really, as life changes doesn't one's auditory sensory needs change as well? So here is my first list...

MOST PLAYED BREAK-UP SONGS BY ME 1980-1984

1. Without a doubt, Hello/Lionel Richie. Doesn't really qualify as a 'break-up' song but when my high school bf went off to boot camp it was all I played for the three months he was in Texas. After which, he came home, I went to college and we broke up. Several times.

2. Open Arms/Journey. Probably worked for any number of lesser class beaux.

3. Heartache Tonight/Eagles. Any time I walked into a dance from seventh grade to twelfth and they played this song within the first thirty minutes.. well... look at the title, people.

4. Just back from his Phillipines 'From Rex, With Love' tour where apparently he is hot, hot, hot! Ladies and gentlemen, REX SMITH!!!!! You know, REX SMITH!!!! Okay, let's try this again... a 'multi-talented performer whose natural singing ability has led him to a successful career' (that's from his website), star of the hit 1979 TV movie Sooner or Later (and played Danny in Broadway's Grease), singer of the platinum hit- You Take My Breath Away. NOT the one by Berlin OR Queen OR Merill Osmond. R-E-X S-M-I-T-H. Just click here please http://www.rexsmith.com/

Okay, before #5, I must add a disclaimer because only faithful reader Jojoagogo will understand otherwise. Southern York County, Pennsylvania, is rather rural. When I was in high school I could look out my Biology II window and watch the Ag boys tuning up their tractors... which they drove to school. I dated farmer boys, farm workers, farmer wannabe's, and plenty of other plaid shirt wearing, red-blooded american car driving healthy young males who knew how to sling a bale of hay and drive a pick-up truck to a field kegger. Which is why I had a hard time choosing this last song from among several possibilities in the Alabama discography...

5. Lady Down on Love, Alabama. Listen to these lyrics...
'Her mind drifts back in time to a mid-summer moon, when he asked her to marry and she gladly said ok. And a woman came to be from the girl of yesterday.'

So granted this is also attached to the fuure-army reservist who was the love of my life senior year, and maybe Randy Owen isn't as hot as I thought he was the THREE times I saw them in concert... but you know what, if it weren't for this blog, I never would've been running through the Alabama hit list, wandering down Memory Lane and thinking 'Shit, y'all, I need to get me a copy of Ultimate Alabama!'
(Pleeeeze don't tell my husband!)

3 comments:

thebeachisback said...

Your missing an important one during this time period-- I shed quarts of tears over REO Speedwagon's "Time for Me to Fly" whilst listening to my toaster sized walkman during a particularly "serious" eighth- grade long distance breakup. I know, REO Speedwagon, its hard to believe we actually listened to a band by this name.

jojoagogo said...

I've had to think a little on this one. A few immediately pop to mind..."I'm still loving you" by the Scorpions takes me back. "Faithfully" by Journey (can you tell we were a big Journey family?), and who can forget the last song of EVERY dance you ever went to in high school....yes, the one, the only FREEBIRD. God, I hate that song. I would love to know why it had to be the last song of every dance? Is there some subliminal message in there? If anyone has an answer, let's hear it! Gotta fly now! (oops, that's that Rocky song...ugh to that too.)

Jamie Layton said...

Sorry Jojo, but I believe Faithfully by Journey was already put up for the voted under Quinn's Best Hook Up songs category. Since this is a professional outfit, we are going to have to limit songs to one vote, one category. Flyboy beat you to the punch on that one, I wonder if perhaps you were not up to date on your Queen Beach reading? Coming soon... the College Years.