Friday, May 16, 2008

Hit Me With Your Best Shot

While strolling through G:TB the other day, I was tickled pink to discover we share a mutual love of the Old 97's. Of course, they then proceeded to smack me around with their far superior lyrical knowledge. In an attempt to divert attention from the fact that I was way out of my league, I somehow was able to deftly switch the conversation to the topic of "hook up" tapes. After a lovely little saunter down memory lane, I came up with the brilliant idea of the top 5 hook up songs and/or lyrics of all time. This is by no means a definitive list and I know there are many MANY others out there and I'd love to hear them all. This is just my humble opinion, based on personal taste, fond memories, and how effective it may have been on yours truly. Let me also share two other important facts: A) most of these songs come from my own "bunny mix" aka "the rabbit" mix. Bonus points to anyone who gets that reference. B) Anything performed by Eddie Vedder automatically closes the deal.

[I apologize in advance for the crappy youtube links. I don't have a lot of time to go searching for better quality examples. Don't watch. Just listen. Unless otherwise instructed.]

Without further ado...

5. Movin' In, England Dan & John Ford Coley
Coming out of the gate strong with this one. Greatest booty-call song of all time. I've embedded the video because this one is actually worth watching, particularly for the groovy suits, hair-do's and the guy in the back on the keyboards who I THINK is wearing silver sequined overalls. Full disclosure: Up until a few years ago, I seriously thought the lyric was "I'm not talkin' bout the linens...". Not talkin' bout movin' in makes SO much more sense.

4. Come Around, Sister Hazel
Makes the list for the following lyric:

Sky fell down and pulled us in
Stole away my oxygen
And left me standin' breathless there with you
The ocean wrapped around the sun
The smell of June - the taste of your tongue
Was all I'd ever need
Indeed.

3. Afternoon Delight, Starland Vocal Band
Like Chanel. A classic. Suits any occasion, and only gets better with age. (pretty good vid clip too)

2. Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing, Chris Isaak
Okay this one started as an honorable mention. Then I watched the video and holy hell he got bumped right up to #2. It takes a special, special man to look hot in a beater tank and tight purple pants, and that my friends, is why Chris Isaak is on every list I have.

1. Let's Get It On, Marvin Gaye
Just perfect in every way. And now if you'll excuse me, I need to go have a cigarette.

6 comments:

jojoagogo said...

Considering you Queen Beaches are the IT girls on the beach, I am so bummed out about your song selections! Afternoon Delight? You are joking, right? Pulling my leg, right? While you were at, you might as well have added a Leo Sayer song, too. Of course, where I'm from the hook up song was more like Hank Williams' "All my rowdy friends are coming over tonight"...(and which one should stay over tonight....hmmmm). Guess it's all a matter of taste...,er..,or not. Love the blogs ladies. I check it every day to get my daily fix.

Jamie Layton said...

well, well... I should have known there was a rhett miller lover in you somewhere. seen him, twice. love him, the old 97's, etc, etc. In fact, the only reason I watched the Breakup was for him/them. Otherwise, Jennifer Anison? Puhleez. And I will be putting together my own personal list and just hand over the points because I'm pretty sure I get your rabbit reference.

Jamie Layton said...

jojagogo- look at your first sentence in your comment- we are the IT girls on the BEACH ergo Afternoon Delight is PERFECT. Can you come up with another circa 1975 song that has anything close to the timelessness of that song? Or a band with a better shiny bright name? Remember when we would be here in 1975? The only records the only Outer Bank radio station owned were- Afternoon Delight, WildFire and anything by Bread.

KQ said...

Hey. Don't knock the Afternoon Delight. Is there a greater, or more clear-cut lyric than "the thought of rubbing you is getting so exciting"? Like I said - purely personal preferences. They work for me. Evidently I'm kinda easy. Think of it more as a starting point for a discussion. Let's see what YOU got jojo...

Flyboy said...

Faithfully - Journey

Maybe an honorable mention?

Shlara said...

I'm late to the discussion, but have three additions to consider:

1. Beast of Burden, Rolling Stones...was the song choice of a college roommate. When it was on "repeat" it was kind of like leaving a tie on the door, or like a musical "do not disturb" sign

2. All I Want is You, U2. "All of the promises we made from the cradle to the grave, and all I want is you." Raw desire there. Plus that classic driving bass line and signature drum beat. Dude, the best.

3. Say Goodbye, DMB. Dave's just putting it out there that it's all about the hook up...appeals to my nature of being direct.